- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- Traditionally used for storage and transportation of food and goods, these deep bowls make lovely centerpieces on tables or shelves.
- This basket was made of roots that were sustainably harvested from Makenge, a type of large bush that grows along sandy banks. Weavers harvest only two thirds of each root, allowing the remaining third to regrow, often as two new roots.
- Once harvested, Makenge roots are peeled, and both the inner root and the peels are used in the weaving process. The inner root is used to create the internal structure of the basket’s coils, while the peels are split into strips that are wrapped around and used to bind the coils together. Some of these strips are dyed using roots or leaves, allowing weavers to create patterns across the basket’s surface.
- The weavers that make baskets such as this one live in the Mongu region of Zambia, not far from the border with Angola.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
Makenge Bushroot Deep Bowl
Incredibly sturdy, many remark that this basket seems to be made of wood.
Approximately 8.75 Inches Wide x 4.25 Inches Tall
SKU: 101073 Category: Zambia Baskets
FREE SHIPPING to addresses in the contiguous 48 United States! See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
Approximately 12.25 Inches Wide x 5.5 Inches Tall $195.00
Approximately 11.75 Inches Wide x 6.5 Inches Tall $165.00
Approximately 12.25 Inches Wide x 6.5 Inches Tall $195.00