- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- The baTonga people in Zambia are closely related to those in Zimbabwe.
- Tonga baskets are woven on radials of creeping vines, and palm leaves are sometimes dyed with bark and roots to create designs.
- The heavy rim of this Plateau basket reinforces the basket and makes it strong enough for its traditional use of winnowing large amounts of grain.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
In the southern region of Zambia, hundreds of traditional village weavers make a variety of natural fiber baskets. The weavers are all subsistence farmers.