Artist: Thulaleni Mhlongo
- You will receive the exact basket pictured above, woven by Thulaleni Mhlongo.
- Large bowl shaped baskets are known as “Iqoma” in the Zulu language.
- These baskets are all-natural; dyes are made from materials as diverse as flower petals and mud. Some colors are very rare due to the scarcity of certain minerals. Other colors are only available seasonally, when specific flowers bloom.
- Collecting these baskets in Zululand, South Africa is challenging, requiring the traversal of hundreds of miles of dirt roads between remote villages, collecting baskets hut to hut from dozens of individual weavers.
- The quality of weaving and size of basket combine to determine prices on these stunning creations.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.