About Fair Trade
All of our African baskets and gifts are certified Fair Trade goods.
Fair trade is an approach to business and to development based on dialogue, transparency, and respect that seeks to create greater equity in the international trading system.
Fair trade supports farmers and craftspeople in developing countries who are socially and economically marginalized. These producers often face steep hurdles in finding markets and customers for their goods.
Ask for Fair Trade certified products wherever you shop!
Baskets of Africa is proud to be a member of the Fair Trade Federation, an organization that shares our strong belief that indigenous people around the world should be compensated fairly for their amazing work.
Learn more at:
Fair Trade Principles
- Create Opportunities for economically and socially marginalized farmers and artisans. Fair trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development achieved through long-term trading partnerships.
- Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships with artisans and farmers to ensure that relationships are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
- Build Capacity of farmers, artisans, and their communities. FTF members invest time and resources to help producers build their businesses and create sustainable supply chains.
- Promote Fair Trade by raising awareness about fair trade, educating customers and producers, and inspiring other businesses to adopt fair trade practices.
- Pay Promptly and Fairly by discussing costs and pricing openly and honestly so that producers are able to earn a fair wage.
- Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions that are free of discrimination and forced labor. Healthy workplaces empower producers to participate in decision-making.
- Cultivate Environmental Stewardship by encouraging responsible use of resources and eco-friendly production. FTF members reduce, reuse, reclaim, and recycle materials whenever possible.
- Ensure the Rights of Children by never using exploitative child labor. FTF members support children’s right to security, education, and play and respect the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Respect the Cultural Identity of the farmers and artisans and celebrate diversity. Fair trade products and production methods respect the traditions of the local communities.
Download and print a 1/2 page handout for your store or booth