- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- Woven by Nubian women of Darfur, Sudan, these baskets of peace, hope, and strength represent the people’s inspiring courage and resolve.
- Over the years, the people of Darfur have been displaced by conflict, war, building of the Aswan Dam and other factors. They have resettled in Kenya, Uganda, and other nearby countries.
- These coil-stitched baskets are created using the most difficult weaving techniques, tightly wrapping smooth palm leaves around coils of papyrus stalks. This process requires skill and experience to keep the inner coil at the right thickness while stitching the outer wrap over the coil with a needle.
- These traditional baskets are delicately woven to feature distinctive bright colors, intricate patterns, a tight weave, and thin coils. The palm leaves give a sheen to the surface of the baskets.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
As seen in…
Baskets of Africa continues to be featured in national magazines, highlighting our amazing baskets and our commitment to Fair Trade. Read the articles and features here.