- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- Coming from Yikene village, in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana, these baskets are traditionally used for carrying goods to and from the market. This is the Yikene interpretation of the regular two-handled shopping basket.
- Please note that if a color looks black on your screen, it is actually dark blue.
- Although we attempt to ship all baskets fully shaped, some baskets may need a bit of shaping when they arrive to you.
- Shipments outside of the Continental United States and via 3 Business Day Delivery receive ‘flattened’ baskets.
- Easily reshape your basket by quickly submerging it in water (keep the leather dry), reshaping it by hand, and letting it dry.
- Each order comes with basket shaping instructions and a full page of information on Ghana baskets.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
Weaving Bolga Baskets in Ghana
For many generations, weaving has been a traditional skill of the Gurune people of northern Ghana. Mostly done by women, basket weaving and other handicrafts supplement these subsistence farmers’ incomes.