- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- The baTonga people in Zambia are closely related to those in Zimbabwe.
- Tonga baskets are woven on radials of creeping vines, and palm leaves are sometimes dyed with bark and roots to create designs.
- The heavy rim of this Plateau basket reinforces the basket and makes it strong enough for its traditional use of winnowing large amounts of grain.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
Weaving Makenge Bush Root Baskets in Zambia
In the Western province of Zambia, not far from the border with Angola, the mostly Mbunda speaking people weave these ruggedly unique baskets.