- You will receive a basket nearly identical to the one pictured above.
- This shape is quite shallow; some people refer to it as a plate or platter. It is very versatile and can be mounted to a wall, framed and hung, displayed on a table or counter, or stood on a shelf.
- These are incredible, intricately designed African baskets, some using accents of bare copper wire.
- The past and the future are fused together in the creation of this beautiful basket. Zulu weavers have taken the intricate designs and incredible craftsmanship of their natural fiber baskets and turned them into brightly-colored art using plastic-coated wire.
- Mesmerizing designs and vibrant colors are a hallmark of this functional art.
- Wash gently with warm soapy water.
- Dimensions are approximate, but we do strive to get the measurements accurate within 1/2 inch. Please review the size of this item carefully using a ruler or tape measure before your purchase. See our Shopping FAQs for more information.
Weaving Zulu Wire Baskets in South Africa
Since wire baskets are woven by many men due to the difficult nature of weaving wire, they are able to stay home on their tribal lands instead of moving to cities to look for work. In the rural groups we work with, the family units are preserved so that the weavers and their families can live more traditional lifestyles.